May is International Masturbation Month. We know many of you celebrate every day of the year, but here is some information that may make you feel better about doing the solo dance.
Masturbation (jerking off, choking the chicken, spending time with Hank and his four brothers) has historically been labeled an evil deed. Numerous religions forbid “spilling the seed,” and an entire morning breakfast routine was created around preventing boys from doing it.
Ole wives’ tales even spoke of going blind and developing sweaty or hairy palms, but the truth is the exact opposite of what you were told: Wanking is very good for your body, mind, and spirit. And, it just might save your relationship.
Here are some well-known and scientifically tested benefits of masturbating regularly.
- Manages pre-mature ejaculation: 2 hours before sex should clean out the pipes and reduce sexual arousal enough so that you can last longer and enjoy partnered sex.
- Reduces risk for prostate cancer: Playing the skin flute regularly has been proven as an effective measure to lower your risk for this common form of male cancer for well over a decade.
- Helps with erectile dysfunction and “limp dick” syndrome: Masturbation has the added effect of working the muscles of your pelvis, enabling you to get harder, faster, and longer.
- Manages stress and depression: It “releases feel-good neurochemicals like dopamine and oxytocin that lift your spirits, boost your satisfaction, and activate the reward circuits in your brain,” reports Gloria Brame, Ph.D. “An orgasm is the biggest non-drug blast of dopamine available.” In short, a masturbation-induced orgasm creates feelings of euphoria; it’s a safe, free, and natural high.
- Helps with sleep: See above.
And a few that are a bit…shady, but who knows…right? You were going to do it anyway.
You’ll possibly live longer.
According to research by Dr. Michael Roizen of the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute, guys who ejaculate at least once a day live at least four years longer than those who do not.
What’s more, if you can do it twice a day, the research suggests you may be able to tack on additional 8-years to your lifespan. You can go more than once, right?
You may look younger.
Many gay men are endlessly searching for the proverbial fountain of youth. Let’s face it, who wants to be an old troll? So instead of spending that wad of cash on Botox and filler, maybe you should reach for a bottle of your favorite lube.
That’s because guys who grease their monkeys regularly look 15 years younger, according to the study mentioned above. Speaking of youth and lube, check out our post on eight things you can do with lube you might not know!
You’ll live healthier.
When you jerk it, you are helping your body to circulate blood, stimulate testosterone levels, strengthen your cardiac system and boost your general immunity. Plus, you are helping to eject toxins that clog up your plumbing.
Some information suggests that stroking one off may help you recover from the common cold. Think how much money you will save from missed days at work!
Here is the big takeaway. Solo sex is fantastic, feels good, and is good for the body and mind. But it must come naturally and assist you, not become a crutch or way to isolate yourself from having sex with others. Also, there is no right or wrong way to jerk your dick, just as there is no “normal” amount of time to do it per day or week. OK, if you need a calculator to add up the figures, you might need to give Jimmy a rest.